This post won’t be as political or passionate as the others, but I figured it may be of help to other natural haired women like myself. I get many emails from other curly girls like me asking me what products I use exactly in my hair and how I get it to, “do what it does.” LOL. I have what I consider “good hair days” and “crazy hair days” like most women…the benefit of “crazy hair days” when you’re a wild, curly girl is that people still think it is intentional. We are still in an age where women of color rocking their natural hair is considered “revolutionary” or “groundbreaking,” so good hair day or bad we are bound to get stares. That will be my next post, but for now let’s focus on getting those curls the way you want them.
Here are my steps:
1. I don’t use shampoo and haven’t in about two years. No, my hair does not stink! I use conditioner (any creamy conditioner works) to clean my hair mixed with brown sugar. I only do this once a month. Shampoo strips the natural oils needed in curly hair (remember, a curly hair shaft is an open hair shaft.) That open hair shaft is what sometimes gives us the frizzy look! Straight hair has a smooth, closed hair shaft so it stays more smooth and shiny more easily.
2. In the shower every day I put about 4 Tbsp of leave-in conditioner and comb through my hair upside down. I then run my ringers through my curls and scrunch the remaining water out.
3. I then add in 1 Tbsp of Paul Mitchell’s sculpting lotion (medium hold) to my hair by rubbing it into my hands and running my fingers through wet curls
4. Blow dry with A DIFFUSER (very important) on COLD upside down while still scrunching. Towel blot excess moisture. This step takes me 30 minutes. Grrrr. I don’t air dry my hair often because it dries so flat.
5. When your hair is almost dry, add a little hairspray to the roots if you want it to have a little more volume. Fluff the roots!
6. Enjoy your curls!
* Blowdryer with diffuser attachment
* Leave-in CREAMY conditioner (any brand works fine, I like Mixed Chicks and John Frieda’s regular creamy conditioner works okay too!)
* Paul Mitchell (or Generic brand) of medium hold sculpting lotion